[blparent] squeaky baby company

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Mon Mar 31 20:13:39 UTC 2014

Babies are like Tigger.  Their tops are made of rubber, their bottoms are
made of springs.  Okay, maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but they're
amazingly flexible and resilient.  They fall, your heart goes into your
throat, and they bounce back up, usually laughing.  Mine has fallen too many
times to count--when she was young, it was because she was learning to
crawl, then walk, then run and climb.  Now half the time it's because she's
too busy spinning and twirling and jumping to look where she's going.  But I
can't stress enough, kids don't usually hurt themselves the way adults do,
especially if you act calm about it when they fall and don't rush over
freaking out as if the world is ending.  Now of course, you have to treat
very tiny babies carefully, but once they're moving by themselves, you let
them figure it out.  When they tip over, you smile and say, "Uh oh!  Bounce
back up!"  or, we said in our house, "No blood, no foul!"  Unless they cry
in obvious distress, that's the end of it.

Jo Elizabeth

Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may
kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at
evening.--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.