[blparent] First time mom with many questions!

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Sun Oct 19 04:08:46 UTC 2014

Hi, Briley.  First of all, congratulations to you and your husband.  Getting
ready for your first baby is over-the-moon exciting.

As far as registries go, of the 3263 things the Internet says you need,
about 3194 of them are either completely pointless or kind of nice to have
around but not really necessary at all.  Moms and dads were raising babies
quite successfully before there were Diaper Genies or wipe warmers or spoons
that turned white if the food was too hot to pop in tender little mouths.
Things I found useful and didn't have enough of were one-piece sleepers and
everyday bibs without fancy frills.  Things I had too many of were little
receiving blankets and cutesy matching outfits that I had to try to match up
and keep together.  All good intentions of systems with safety pins and
sewing buttons on clothes that felt alike went out the window in the
exhaustion of late night feedings and no sleep.  I found that the tiniest
newborn outfits were quickly outgrown, and some were never even worn.
Things I used right away and often were a baby monitor, a diaper bag, a
breast pump, and like you said, a car seat.  I bought a store brand model,
which was as good as the more expensive brands and a whole lot cheaper.  I
opted for a changing pad on a countertop rather than an entire piece of
furniture dedicated to diapering.

As for blind-friendly, other than a talking thermometer and a talking
phonetics toy by VTech with braille on it, and a Melissa and Doug U.S.
puzzle map that I got when my daughter started kindergarten, I don't think
I've ever bought a product specifically adapted to my blindness.  I've
brailled a few things such as flash cards, but raising babies is generally a
hands-on task by nature for anyone, blind or sighted.

Welcome to the list!

Jo Elizabeth

Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may
kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at
evening.--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.