[blparent] dawn stumpner with a question about sighted kids getting driving practice and car insurance that won't totally bust my budgget and sanity

Star Gazer pickrellrebecca at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 16:48:45 UTC 2014

Hi Dawn.
Do you own a vehicle? If yes, get it insured for any driver. We've done this
so people can drive me and/or our kids when needed.
You have a right to own a vehicle and to purchase insurance. Driving doesn't
matter. You can also buy insurance that would cover you if you drove a
vehicle but since you don't that's not what you want.
I'd be very careful with giving a friend power of attourney. What would
prevent them from saying your child drove when they hadn't? What if you
couldn't prove your child hadn't been driving at the time of an accident?
Think of something like "Jack and Jill go out to get burgers, Jack (your
kid) starts driving, then tells Jill he's too tired so she drives and wrecks
the car?" Her parents have every insentive to say that no Jill wasn't
driving, Jack was. Since you weren't there, you can't prove it either way.
My approach would be to get a vehicle you own then insure it for any driver.

My second approach would be to get your child on a policy with a friend of
*your* choosing or a family member of *your* choosing. No way would I treat
this like Billy's mom is great at math, it's ok with me if he helps Jack.