[blparent] dawn stumpner with a question about sighted kids getting driving practice and car insurance that won't totally bust my budgget and sanity

dawn stumpner dawn205120 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 16:00:08 UTC 2014

Hi!

I have 3 kids, one of driving age who doesn't drive, one of
driving age who has currently just passed his paper written test
for a permit, and one who will be going through this process in
three years.  I knew it would be nerve-racking worrying about a
new driver, but there are other dimensions to the issue that just
increase the stress.  Does anyone have advice? My main 2
questions are:
   Driving Practice: Most sighted parents' teens are covered
under their auto policies while they practice.  Because I will
have friends giving him practice in their cars, his driving
school said that I would have to sign a power of attorney of
which one part says I will be responsible financially for any
accidents he has.  I'm fine morally being responsible for them,
but my home policy would not pay for that, and I do not have an
auto policy because I don't drive.  My insurance person said
there is no other type of policy I could buy to cover that.  She
said he may be covered under the people's policies with whom he'd
be practicing, but my worry is that if I sign a power of attorney
saying that I'm financially responsible, won't their insurance
companies use that to not pay if, God forbid, there is any type
of accident?
   Insurance once he has a license: Even once he has a license, I
know insurance would be expensive, but it looks like it will
probably be $3,000 a year because there is no adult on the policy
if I don't drive.  In addition, this could continue until he is
21 because he will still be a "youthful driver" until that age.

Has anyone who does not drive or have their own auto policy but
has had teens go through practicing and getting a license have
any advice? Or does anyone out there who has law or insurance
experience have any suggestions? Any advice would be much
appreciated.
     Thanks!
        Dawn