[blparent] Teaching Spelling Words

Judy Jones jtj1 at cableone.net
Wed Sep 3 04:10:57 UTC 2014

Not sure if this addresses your issue, but can you let her feel a measure of
success by spelling words that are alike, like call, fall ball all.  You
could take the word all, go through the alphabet and say, if you place the
letter B in front of All, what would that sound like?  And go through the
alphabet that way.  You can really come up with some silly words that will
get you both laughing, but help her start to understand phonetics and some
of our spelling commonalities.

This may not be helpful when facing a word list brought home from school,
but may start to give her the foundation for spelling.

Now that you mention it, I remember having my very active daughter at about
that age practice a spelling word as she did a summersault.  Just another
way of trying to enforce something and help them remember.

Hope this is helpful.

Judy