[blparent] Homeschooling as a Blind Parent

Judy Jones jtj1 at cableone.net
Sat Sep 13 02:24:34 UTC 2014

Hi, Misty,

We home-schooled our girls for part of their school career.  I would say
there is a lot of prep work if you are going to home-school, and maybe
you've done this already.

First, you have to decide which curriculum you are going to use.  We opted,
of course, for a total Internet curriculum, as opposed to  traditional
hard-copy.  One curriculum we used was totally online, but was expensive.
Another we used was online with supplementary teaching videos on DVD.

We lived in Washington state at the time, and in our area, there were annual
home-school conventions, where one could go and get their questions asked.

If you are totally home-schooling, you will need then to become familiar
with the curriculum you have chosen, so you can effectively teach it,
reinforce her learning, and answer her questions.  Also, have you decided
how you will teach her penmanship?  Just curious on that one.  If we had
needed to do that with our girls, I would have enlisted another home-school
parent; they could help her with penmanship, and you could help teach their
children in another subject.

Some school districts are good supporters of home-schoolers.  Where we
lived, the school district allowed our girls to attend the public school for
the extra curricular activities, such as sports and music.

The YMCA in the area had exclusive gym classes for home-schoolers 3 days a
week.

Another factor:  If you are going to home-school, make sure there will be
plenty of social outlet for your girl.  This happens for kids automatically
when they're around other kids in class, but socialization will have to be
thought out.

One way around this, too, is to join a co-op of parents who home-school.
Some of us are good at math and science, while others of us are better in
the language and humanities.  In a co-op, parents will teach all the kids of
the co-op in areas in which they feel comfortable.  A situation like that
may answer the question about penmanship.

Last of all, have you considered a charter school, or are there any in your
area?  Here, a charter school can simply mean two or more families getting
together and adopting a curricula for their children.  However, different
states have different charter school laws.

Oh yes, I forgot one more.  Your public school system may have its own
online curriculum for home-schoolers.  Check with the district or the school
counselor.

Sorry if I wrote this book, but there are lots of options out there, and
now, maybe more than when we were teaching our girls.  Also understand that
home-schooling can be fun, but is very intensive for the parent.  Although
you can be flexible in your schedule, that flexibility does NOT mean being
inconsistent.  It means you can take a vacation at the time of your choosing
and not have to stick to a district calendar, but you must be in that home
classroom  consistently at the times you decide.  The beauty is that your
child can move forward at her own speed, and most home-schoolers are quite a
bit farther along in their grade level, if not ahead, than their
counterparts in the public school classroom.

Best wishes, and write back often, let us know how you are doing.

Judy