[blparent] Penmanship.

Misty Dawn Bradley mistydbradley at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 04:55:44 UTC 2014

Hi Judy and all,
I would be curious too, not just for my daughter but also if I do go into
the teaching profession.
When I was a child, I used to have sheets with raised letters that I would
trace with my pencil or pen, so I learned some writing that way and also
what the print letters felt like. I wonder if maybe the same concept could
be used to teach writing letters and numbers and things like that. It would
be more difficult with assignments though, unless you could have the child
place the paper he or she is writing on on a screen board so you could feel
their writing. I used to have a screen board, and I think the American
Printing House for the Blind or the Braille Bookstore sells them. It is a
frame with a screen on it, and when you put a sheet of paper over it and
write on it with a pen or pencil, you can feel what was drawn or written on
the other side of the paper because the screen is rough and allows you to
feel the markings.
There is also some kind of foam paper with special markers that you can
write on it with and you can feel what you wrote, and a sighted person would
also be able to see it. I had something like that when I was in school,
although I am not sure where my VI teacher got it. I think it was from APH
as well, but I am not sure. It was very thick and foam-like, and the markers
felt like regular markers rather than the puff paint pens or tubes, and the
writing or drawing would come out as raised-line due to some kind of
reaction between the special paper and ink.
I will probably take a look online at the sites for adaptive products and
see if there is anything else that I have not heard of yet, but these are
some things that I used as a child that could probably work for a blind
parent and sighted child.
Misty