[blparent] Meal planning

Jennifer Woods jem4ever at icloud.com
Thu Jan 8 21:57:04 UTC 2015

Thanks Annley I really appreciate it.

Jenn

On Jan 8, 2015, at 1:51 PM, Annely Rose <annely53r at yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi Jennifer,

I don't usually reply on this list, but I wanted to add my 2 cents.  Another way to save money is to go through the grocery ads of the grocery stores you shop at and take advantage of what is on sale for that week and plan your meals accordingly.  I find this to be helpful.  Crockpots are great because you can't burn anything in them because of the low temps.  NLS has a lot of cookbooks, even for beginners.  Take care, good luck, and God bless.

Annely

Hi Jo,

I honestly don't have any
routines yet.
We just moved in with my
parents in March, so there is still a lot of adjustment
happening.
I'm in the process of trying
to get my son and I our own place.
I asked
my dad to go to the store and pick up a few things. I want
to try and crockpot a breakfast casserole for Sunday
morning.
This will be my first attempt at
cooking something other than pasta. Smile.
-I love pasta.
-I am not a fan
of spicy food.
-I have a soy allergy so I
need to be careful that I only consume soybean oil as any
other type of soy makes me sick.
Hope this
helps give you a starting point.

Jenn

On Jan 8, 2015, at 1:25 PM,
Jo Elizabeth Pinto <jopinto at msn.com>
wrote:

Okay, well, a good
starting point would be to tell us what you are doing now so
we have something to build on and we aren't beginning
from scratch.  It's easier to improve on routines you
have already established and habits that are working for you
than it is to impose our own ideas on  you, ideas that
might not fit your lifestyle or your tastes at all.

I will say that a crockpot is
your best friend, especially if it's just you and a
toddler to cook for.  One of the most useful cookbooks I
ever came across was from the NLS.  I don't remember
the author, but the title was "Crockery
Cookery."  I listened to it on four-track tape,
probably close to twenty-five years ago, so I hope it has
been converted to whatever those cartridge doohickeys are
that they're using now.  I copied dozens of recipes
from that crockpot cookbook into braille, and I still use
them today. They're practical, easy, and not just the
same old stews and soups you usually find.  The nice thing
about a crockpot is that if you have a small family, you can
make three or four dishes, then freeze the leftovers of each
meal and alternate them so you don't end up eating one
thing for a week straight before you move on to the next.
I'd be glad to send you a few recipes to start you off
if you write to me privately at jopinto at msn.com,
since it would probably be better not to clutter up the
list.  But I would recommend that you look for the entire
book if you are an NLS user.  It would be an excellent
resource for you as a new cook.

Jo Elizabeth

Truth is tough. It will not break, like a
bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like
a football, and it will be round and full at
evening.--Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
-----Original Message----- From: Jennifer Woods
via blparent