[blparent] Baby Wearing

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Thu Jul 23 20:31:02 UTC 2015

Dear Niko,

I also used a front pack (Snugli) with my daughter, who is now thirty-one.
It worked beautifully for about the first 18 months. I tried using a frame
pack on my back when she was about a year old, but I didn't care for it
because she would stand up and it felt precarious to me; with her on my back
I couldn't easily reach around to settle her. Also, having her facing me in
the front carrier was much better for interaction between us. Once she was
too big for the front pack she started walking beside me, holding my hand or
using a harness, which was great in stores and other crowded places.

One thing I learned from other blind parents was to have her hold hands when
she was out with any adult, even if the person were sighted. It was
sometimes hard to persuade people that this was important, but I really
insisted on it. That way my daughter didn't get the idea that she could run
free with other people but had to hold hands with boring old Mom. She
remained very comfortable holding my hand on the street well into elementary
school.

Debbie