[blparent] house shopping

dawn stumpner dawn205120 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 12:33:05 UTC 2015

Hi, Allison
    Yes, I could totally relate to your comment about blind home
shoppers and sighted friends/ family/ realtors  not always
looking at things in the same way.  Sometimes you can ask the
"right" questions but still get the wrong answers because sighted
and non-sighted people have different perspectives on what
accessible, convenient, and other things mean in some settings.
I remember buying one house where I found out afterward that
there were no sidewalks to go anywhere.  I had asked about
walkability and walking distances, but I hadn't mentioned
sidewalks specifically because I just assumed there were
sidewalks (since all places I'd lived in Madison, WI before this
always had sidewalks).  There was a sidewalk-walkway to enter the
house, so I had the illusion of a sidewalk, and I didn't actually
walk from the house to the park, etc.  before buying the house.
I ended up having to walk at the edge of the road pulling a
stroller or walking with my then-toddler every time we went to
the park, a neighbor's house, etc.  The street was extremely
quiet and nearly always empty of traffic, but it was the lack of
sidewalks and a less convenient than expected bus route that
prompted me to start house-hunting again after only a year there.
Another time I lived in Iowa for a while, and I'd learned my
lesson to ask about sidewalks, but although the little town where
we lived DID have sidewalks, no one thought to mention that many
of them just ended abruptly.  Sometimes there was an alternate
route across the street where the sidewalk continued, sometimes
the sidewalk resumed in 30 feet or so, but I didn't know where
the sidewalk was when it ended, and it was disconcerting in a new
town and with young children.  Each time you move and each time
you hear stories from friends and acquaintances, you hone what
types of questions you need to ask.  Live and learn! I love the
house I'm in now, and the sidewalks are great, too! LOL.