[blparent] In Over My Head,, toddlers

Judy Jones jtj1 at cableone.net
Tue Jun 2 11:59:10 UTC 2015

I love this message.

Judy

-----Original Message-----
From: Star Gazer via blparent
Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2015 5:43 AM
To: 'Blind Parents Mailing List'
Cc: Star Gazer
Subject: Re: [blparent] In Over My Head,, toddlers

Judy has offered you some great tips.
Now to add mine.
First, when you say your husband works long hours, do you mean he isn't
providing you with any emotional support? Obviously, he needs to work, but
"working long hours" is often code for "I don't want to be with my family".
If he is working long hours, he'd better be raking in the dough to support
his lack of presence so that you can hire whatever help you need/want.
When he's home, be happy to see him, but don't be overly tolerant of his
absence. He needs to be home with you on weekends and evenings. If he isn't,
figure out why.
I say this because not having the emotional support of a spouse can suck the
life right out of you. Last weekend my husband and I were watching Mad Men,
and we happened to be watching the episode with the Moon landing. Our
youngest daughter was in bed but woke up during the episode and was crying.
I went to go get her and I told her "We can't go cry cry when we're watching
the Moon landing". If my husband hadn't been watching the episode with me
and wasn't engaged in the family, my daughter needing something would have
probably seemed like one more thing to do.
Second, do you get out of the house with your daughter? You need to do that
in whatever way is easiest for you. You need to understand that you can and
should do this. If your husband doesn't "get" this (and many men don't,
leave him with the baby and take the carseat with you, thereby removing his
ability to go out with the baby. He'll change his tune real quick.
Last, don't worry about interacting with your daughter the way a sighted
person would. There is a tabla drummer Zakir Hussain who has played with The
Grateful Dead and The Beatles. He said that he wanted to be a rock drummer
and when he met Ringo Starr of the Beatles, he told him that he wish he was
a rock drummer. Ringo told him "I have a thousand rock drummers I can call
right now, but I only have one tabla drummer and that's you".
The point, there's only one of you so just be you.