[blparent] Moving, and how it affects yourself and children

Judy Jones jtj1 at cableone.net
Sun May 17 00:11:38 UTC 2015

Now that I have been a parent, I can look back and realize how much my folks
set the tone for our multiple moves as an Air Force family.

Mom always set a tone of excitement, new was sanomymous with exciting,
adventure, friends, always looking ahead.  So I guess I naturally adopted
that.

Of course, I did miss my friends left behind, but we wrote letters.  I
attended eight different schools in my educational experience.

When we went overseas, my mom would prepare by getting braille texts ahead
of time, guessing at what I might need to supplement my schooling.  We were
only allowed 2000 pounds personal possessions, so I shudder to think how
much my family must have sacrificed, in order to make sure I had the
braille.  Mind you, this was back in the sixties, before E-books, online,
etc.

I was always an outgoing kid anyway, so maybe that is why I adapted, whereas
moving may be harder on other kids.  The important thing is the tone the
parent sets.

My husband was an army brat, and we actually met overseas as kids, then lost
touch, got back together again through a mutual friend we didn't know we
had.  In any case, his mom, in spite of having four kids, took on the job of
brailling all his texts for him when overseas.  He remembers hearing the
clatter of the Perkins brailler far into the night many times.

You do what you have to to help your kids with any move.

With this background, moving has never seemed daunting to me.  With my
husband's work, we have had to make a few moves, and our girls adapted very
well, too.  They both have very outgoing personalities.  You have to start
the organization process from the first, and we always did well to plan
months ahead, a luxury our military parents didn't have, but everything
worked out well in our 5 moves.  Two of those took place before we had our
kids, which was six years into our marriage.  I forgot a move.  The one we
last took in 2008 once the kids were out of the house.  My husband retired
early, and we moved from Tacoma, WA to Twin Falls, Idaho, not anticipating
any more moves.

Judy