[blparent] Resources to learn hands-on about baby care?

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat May 23 05:38:28 UTC 2015

Hi all,
As you may know, I'm not a parent, but I've been on this list for a
while in order to learn about nonvisual techniques for childcare since
that's an area where I am very inexperienced. So recently, a few close
friends and relatives of mine have told me they're pregnant and
expecting to give birth by the end of the year. I really want to get
some practical skills and confidence with baby care before their
babies are born. I've never changed a diaper, bathed or dressed a
baby, or even carried a baby any distance (I've just held them in my
arms or on my lap). I'm also totally clueless about how visual games
with young infants, like Peekaboo, work. I didn't grow up around
babies and wasn't particularly drawn to childcare so I never learned
these skills. But the moms-to-be in my life are women I really care
about and I want to be there to help them out when they need it and I
want to connect with their babies without constantly worrying I'm
going to do something wrong and accidentally hurt them. So, I was just
curious what you would suggest so I can get some hands-on practice.
Would the Hadley preparation course be helpful for someone who's not
actually expecting her own child but just wants to learn these basic
skills? I have also considered practicing with a diaper and a doll
(though I'm not sure I want to buy a whole pack of diapers!) What else
would you suggest? I know the biggest way I can learn and gain
confidence is just by jumping in and spending time with babies, but I
feel like I need to get a little more basic knowledge first, and I
also know that my exhausted friends probably won't have the patience
to teach me from the beginning when their babies are born. Thanks for
any help!
Arielle