[blparent] Resources to learn hands-on about baby care?

Star Gazer pickrellrebecca at gmail.com
Sat May 23 13:53:15 UTC 2015

When my kids were babies, I didn't want anybody giving them baths or
changing them or carrying them, and it didn't matter how much I liked that
person. I just wasn't comfortable with it and I can't quite give you a good
reason as to why. What I did want was someone to hold them so I could eat or
shower and someone I could talk to.
All this is to say that while you may want to help with taking care of these
babies, your friends may not want you to do that.
A doll won't give you practical experience because dolls don't move, and
they don't pee or poop midchange.
Many women don't have hands on experience with babies until they have their
own.
I'd just focus on helping your friends in the way they want help. If they
want you to change a baby, they'll tell you. If you do need to change a
baby, I guarantee you, you'll figure it out. Ditto for a bath, though with a
newborn, you can just wipe them down with a warm cloth. All this is a long
way of saying that I didn't want help with the hands on care and feeding of
my girls.
I've said it before on this list and I'll say it again, if you have a good
head on your shoulders, you'll keep that good head when a baby is involved.
I never took the Hadley courses and I don't think they'd be helpful as it's
all book learning and babies haven't read those books.
If you do want practical experience with kids, offer to help in a church
nursery or find a grandma who has her grandkids. Realize that these kids
will be older then newborns so will be different from your friends babies,
at least for a little while.