[blparent] police called

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Thu Nov 5 16:56:13 UTC 2015

I don't remember reading Jennifer's  story, but we tend to stand out as
blind people.  It's probably more nerve-wracking when there are children
involved.  *Smile.*  Sometimes it feels like living out in public and
raising our kids, we're in a fishbowl.  It can be scary, but maybe our best
defense is a sense of humore.

The police got called on me once because I was digging out a strip of grass
to make a flower bed in my own yard, years before I had my daughter.  It was
along the sidewalk  facing the street, and my then husband and I were going
to have a fence put in, so there was a string marking where the fence would
go, but no fence yet.  I was minding my own business, using my gardening
tools, when an officer walked up and introduced himself.  He said someone
had called the police from the apartment building across the busy street
because I had been seen digging in the grass and the neighbors were afraid I
wouldn't know where to stop.  The concerned citizens in the apartment across
the road were worried that I would dig right through the concrete sidewalk
and the gutter and work my way out into traffic!

I couldn't keep myself from laughing.  I told the officer that if I, a
120-pound blind lady with a hand trowel and a gardening rake, could dig
through a six-foot-wide sidewalk and an asphalt gutter without even knowing
it and end up in a busy street, the neighbors across the road and the city
police force would have a bigger problem on their hands than they could
solve by themselves.  Besides, I hadn't even been facing the street.  I'd
been digging parallel to the sidewalk.  The officer laughed, too, and went
on his way.

Jo Elizabeth

"The Bright Side of Darkness"
is my newly published novel,
available on Kindle and in paperback at Amazon.com.