[blparent] Car seats for a toddler

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Sun Nov 22 07:16:42 UTC 2015

Hi, Jennifer.  You might check your state laws, which are usually posted on
the Web, to see if there is a height or weight limit at which a young child
can beginning riding on a backless booster with a seat belt instead of in a
car seat with a three- or five-point harness.  Here in Colorado, the magic
numbers are forty pounds or fifty-seven inches tall; there's no age
requirement whatsoever, just height and weight stipulations.  My daughter
was nearly six before she achieved the forty-pound weight limit, and she
won't be fifty-seven inches tall for several more years.  She still rides in
a car seat when we're in the family Buick because it fits her and her dad
and I feel that it's safer for her till she physicallly outgrows it.  But I
carry a backless booster when she and I ride with other people or use
paratransit because it's a zillion times lighter to lug around and also to
install.  I can tuck it under one arm while we walk or even carry it in a
large backpack if I take the arms off, and all I do is set it level on the
seat, have my daughter sit on it, and buckle up the seat belt on her as
normal.  It doesn't attach to the car as a car seat does; it just gets
belted in with the child.   The booster is mostly just to get her sitting
high enough so that the seat belt fits her right, instead of going too high
across her neck because she's shorter than an adult.  I felt immensely
liberated when I could switch to the backess booster instead of the heavy,
clunky car seat.  Some kids are five or six before they're big enough to use
boosters, but I've seen a few two-year-olds who met the size and weight
requirements, so it's just a matter of checking your state laws.  I think I
got my booster at Target or Wal-Mart for around $30 or so.  I can't remember
the price for sure; it might have been on sale.  But it was a lot less
expensive than the full car seats.

Best of luck,
Jo Elizabeth

"The Bright Side of Darkness"
is my newly published novel,
available in Kindle, audio, and paperback formats at Amazon.com.