[blparent] Accessible PDF program

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sun Nov 29 15:10:29 UTC 2015

Jennifer,

If you can experiment with common forms using an OCR program such as Open
Book, and maybe even the serotek program, with your mom, you might be able
to get a word document that can be filled out.  Generally you will need to
fill out such a form in "overtype" mode so your typing doesn't push text
along.  Also, it can be a little difficult to determine where you should
type.  Some OCR programs will turn underlined areas into an underline code
and a tab.  This makes a very nice looking underline but is sometimes not
easy to use to type into.  Most often, if they have some warning, staff in a
doctor's office will help with forms, although you might need to get there
early to allow for extra time to get that done.

There adobe documents that are designed to be filled out by a computer and
not just printed.  While those can be managed, they are not always as easy
to fill out as one might expect.  Some of the fault for that is in how
documents are created, but some is probably on the screen readers as well.
Adobe is so busy updating their programs, screen reader developers are
shooting at a moving target.  Some of these companies seem to believe that
there program is the only one that we run and the only one screen readers
have to support.  <smile>

Best regards,

Steve