[blparent] Herding cats and children?

Judy Jones jtj1 at cableone.net
Thu Oct 1 03:38:08 UTC 2015

Oh my goodness.  There is no comparison.  I understand your concern, but the
most obvious, as I'm sure you know, cats and cat behavior is not that of
children.

For one thing, you are smart to be thinking this through while you have
time.  I do not ever remember our kids getting out when they shouldn't.
Being an aware parent means keeping tabs of your kids, and as they become
more mobile, you will learn to hear what they are or are not doing.  In
other words, you will become accustomed to where and when they play, what
they like to do, and you and your child will grow into this as Child becomes
more mobile.

Another thing you can do is to establish parameters.  You can get the child
knobs for your door knobs.  These are plastic, too large for little hands to
grasp, but an adult can exert enough pressure with the hand around the knob
to open the door.  You can keep screen doors locked if you have a main door
open.

Before letting your child in the yard, police the yard and check for any
objects that shouldn't be there or broken boards in a fence, for example, or
loose or open gates.  It only takes a few minutes for you to secure an area
in advance so your child can be safe.

So much of this is common sense, and you will find the methods that work
best for you.  The other thought and response, quote, I am not parenting our
cat, there is a difference quote.

Enjoy and let us know how things go.

Judy