[blparent] Herding cats and children?

Tammy tcl189 at rogers.com
Thu Oct 1 13:25:04 UTC 2015

            Hi,

First of all, a cat is a lot different then a child, although sometimes
children can be just as sneaky as cats are.  There are squeaky shoes you can
get for your child, as well as child locater beacons and you can always
attach bells when they're little and won't take them off.  I taught my
children at a very young age, like as soon as they could understand and
talk, that they needed to answer me when I called them, just to let me know
where they were.  This has resulted in us having to go home from parks
because one didn't answer or come when I called a second time.  My son Remus
likes to run sometimes and although he doesn't do it much anymore, he's not
very popular with the others if he's the reason we have to cut a trip short.
I would definitely say you're jumping the gun a little, but we've all been
where you are now, and it's a scarey time.  Family often doesn't help at all
when questioning our abilities, especially when they're mean about it like
your in-laws seem to be.  It's one thing to say hey how will you do such and
such, but to compare your new child to a cat is ridiculous!  I've never
heard a child who doesn't make a little noise when trying to go somewhere
they shouldn't be, and most sound like a herd of elephants especially  when
they're trying to be quiet.  Ever played hide and seek with a 2 year old?
lol

I hope this helps a little.  Try to ignore your in-laws.  Your little one
won't come out walking right away.  You'll have time to get used to him or
her before then, and parenting is a lot of trying something and seeing what
works best for you and your partner and child.

Tammy