[blparent] Herding cats and children?

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Thu Oct 1 20:23:24 UTC 2015

This is a little bit ahead of the game, since it's used for outside spaces
like parks and shopping malls.  But I purchased a fairly inexpensive child
locator at this link:

http://www.amazon.com/Mommy-Im-Here-cl-103br-Locator/dp/B0009PLRXK/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443730372&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Mommy+WhereAm+I+child+locator

It served my daughter well for several years, and then I passed it along to
another blind mom when I felt my kid was old enough to answer whenever I
called.  I never had to push the button on my end, but it gave me great
peace of mind to have her wearing it, not only for if she got lost, but also
for the very slim but horrible possibility that someone might have tried to
snatch her.  I held a button that was like a keychain, and she had a teddy
bear part that had a plastic loop on the back of it.  I would have liked it
better if it had a clip I could have fastened to her clothes, but it didn't,
so I slid a big safety pin through the loop on the bear and pinned that to
the waistband of her pants or to her jacket or shirt.  She liked the bear
and called him her traveling friend.  The bear didn't have a button she
could push, so I wasn't worried she would set off the alarm by accident, but
I could push the button on the keychain if I needed to know where my
daughter was, or if I ever felt she was in danger and I wanted to attract
attention to her in a big hurry.  The locator made a very loud beeping
noise.

Jo Elizabeth

"The Bright Side of Darkness"
is my newly published novel,
available on Kindle and in paperback at Amazon.com.
Audio coming very soon!