[blparent] Herding cats and children?

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Sat Oct 10 04:25:15 UTC 2015

Allison, I remember I spilled a glass of lemonade back when I first got
married.  I had been brought up in a household where spills were a big deal,
especially when they were mine, because I don't think my mom ever quite got
used to the fact that one of her kids was blind.  Anyway, my new husband
turned to me and said, "It's a spilled drink, for God's sake, what's the big
deal?  Do you think you blind people keep all of the paper towel companies
in business by yourselves or something?"

That remark hit me between the eyes at the time, and it's given me a lot to
think about over the years, especially since I've had my daughter.  I've run
into new challenges.  I've been way out of my comfort zone.  I've had to
stretch my thinking and come up with plenty of new ideas, solve problems I
never even imagined I'd have, and my daughter isn't even half grown yet.  I
don't know all of the answers--hell, I don't even know all of the questions
yet.  But guess what?  My sighted peers don't, either.  I don't keep the
paper towel companies in business by myself.  We're all in this together.

Some of the big picture questions, you try to have pretty good answers to.
What will you do if your child runs out in the street?  Well, first, you do
your best to teach your kid about safety.  You keep your toddler close to
you with a child harness or a carrier or a stroller till she has gotten to
be of a suitable age and earned enough of your trust to walk on her own, and
then you teach her to hold your hand, look both ways, listen for traffic,
etc.  But there may still come a day, like it did for me recently, when your
kid darts out in front of a car after a puppy, and then you hear the driver
yell out the window and the tires skid, and your heart is in your throat,
and it would still have happened if you were sighted.  And in the next
second you have your kid in your arms on the curb, and tears in your eyes,
and nothing else matters except that you can feel her heart pounding against
your chest.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it's okay to tell people what you would
do in some cases.  It's okay to show them your marked syringe for giving
medicine or explain to them that you have a talking thermometer to take your
baby's temperature.  But it's also okay to say you don't know.  It's
perfectly all right to figure out this parenting thing as you go along.
When some well-meaning granny comes up to me in the grocery store and says,
"Oh, honey, your little girl must help you so much, hmmm?" I sometimes say,
"Yep, she's as helpful as any seven-year-old on a good day."  Because it's
true.  Sometimes she is: sometimes not so much.

Jo Elizabeth

"The Bright Side of Darkness"
is my newly published novel,
available on Kindle and in paperback at Amazon.com.