[blparent] Car Seats for Kids Whose Parents Don't Drive?

Kia Vaca chuyandkia at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 18:59:42 UTC 2015

Hi Allison,

My husband and I are both blind. We are partial to Graco. We are
currently using an infant Graco car seat. Unfortunately, I don’t
remember the exact model. It was around $50 and is pretty light to
carry. Since we do a lot of traveling with public transportation, we
are always carrying our car seat, so try to find one that is
comfortable for you and that has a nice grip on the handle. Once she
is 22 pounds, we are planning to switch her to another, more upright
car seat. We use several means of transportation, Paratransit being
one of them. They allow us to use the car seat without the base,
although you may want to check with them as a precautionary measure.
You may also want to check with the manufacturer to see whether you
are able to travel without the base.

As your baby grows, you may have to change her/him to a different car
seat depending on the weight and/or height of your baby. Just so you
know, the car seats for older babies/toddlers are much bulkier and
will no longer have handles. This is the issue that we are now facing.
However, we have found a few nice, light-weight car seats that will
not be terribly cumbersome to carry. Just as you and your fiancée did,
go to the store and try carrying various car seats until you are
comfortable with one. Remember that you and your fiancée are the ones
that will mainly be carrying the baby.

Hope this helps,
Kia