[blparent] Request for ideas to help young kids to get ready for school on time

Jennifer Bose jen10514 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 16:14:21 UTC 2015

Hi, fellow blind parents. I hope my message finds you all well.

We have two wonderful daughters, and the oldest one has just started
kindergarten this week. As is the case for so many families, we have a
lot to do in the morning. I typically get up somewhat earlier than the
kids, which I enjoy doing and which cuts down on the craziness
somewhat, allowing me time to get myself organized before I wake them
up. My husband is not as much of a morning person, but helps out
particularly well with giving the girls breakfast. He travels quite a
bit for work, though. I'm writing to you all because I wonder if any
of you have come across fun, engaging ways to prompt your kids to
notice that time is ticking away and they need to focus on getting
ready for school. We already do some organizing the night before,
which is helpful. I'm wondering if there are other things that could
go along with my verbal prompts and the direct help I give them with
getting dressed and brushing their teeth and hair, etc. Like all kids,
they get distracted and playful, and I appreciate that. Maybe you know
of a good clock or timer or something else that could be an additional
audiovisual aid that could help me keep them on task.

I have set my iPhone timer for 15 minutes while the girls and I raced
around, cleaning up their toys in the living room, and that has been a
successful technique, more fun than yelling at them to clean up. I'm
just thinking of something along similar lines to help me and my
husband prompt them positively in the morning, rather than turn into
frantic parents who resort to threats and orders. Please let me know
your suggestions.

Thanks for your continued collective wisdom, everyone.

Jen

--
For a clear communication of your message, contact:
Jennifer Bose, voice talent.