[blparent] Car Seats for Kids Whose Parents Don't Drive?

Nathanael T. Wales ntwales at omsoft.com
Sun Sep 6 01:59:49 UTC 2015

All,

I thought to jump in here and especially recommend Corbb and Briley's
recommendation of the Cybex Aton 2.  There are a couple of other advantages
that may also make it well worth the investment--especially if you may be
getting it off a registry.

By way of introduction, my wife and I are both blind and are the proud
parents of a boy who just turned 7 months.  (Those of you who attend NFB
meetings where the presidential release is played may have heard Mark
Riccobono's congratulating us a few months ago.)  A few different years I
attended with other friends planning to be parents one day the meetings that
Debbie Kent Stein hosts at National Convention, the most recent being last
year when unbeknownst to me I already was a father.  Why neither I nor the
whole family was at National Convention this year is a longer, more
interesting, and challenging story.  I've enjoyed reading this list over the
years, gotten many ideas that I've found helpful, and been very glad for the
supporting community.  I suppose I'm one of those people who rarely posts to
a listserve or speaks up in a large group conversation unless I'm absolutely
sure I'd have something useful to say which is why it's taken me so long to
post anything, and I hate rehashing the same old questions.  And I suppose I
have the fear that I must have everything together and close to perfect
before stepping out; perhaps I need to work to get over that.

Anyway, my wife and I use and especially love the Cybex Aton 2.  She gets
all the credit for finding it.  It is indeed light and safer than most other
car seats that don't also have the European routing clip for a shoulder
harness.  It makes for a particularly easy, tight fit without having to
perform any gymnastics in the backseat of a taxi or Uber.  Finding a design
like this in the United States, we found, is fairly difficult since so many
Americans are used to car seats with bases, you know, to go in the car they
always drive, and many can't fathom a car seat nowadays that doesn't have
one; you can get Ubers in New York City with car seats in them before people
will think of having their own car seat that doesn't require a base that
works extremely well!  The Cybex Aton 2 is also designed for up to 35 lbs.
and remains rear-facing.  Europe--and I saw recently New Jersey--require
children to remain rear-facing much longer than most of the United States,
and that is much safer.  So this will last you a good couple of years.

Very best,
Nathanael