[blparent] Introduction and a Question

Annely Rose annely53r at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 19 23:08:28 UTC 2016

Thank you for these 2 posts.  I quite agree.  I, too, went back and read the original post.  Sarah, you are correct about where the word blind was mentioned.  As for Liz being paid to be on this list, please notice the date of the email.  It was Sunday.  All my years working as a Vision Rehab. Teacher, Sunday was not a paid work day.  I really hope she hasn't seen the negative posts.

Annely

 On 2/19/16, Sarah Clark
 via BlParent <blparent at nfbnet.org>
 wrote:
 > I think some of these comments
 have gotten unnecessarily harsh, and people
 > have gotten carried away to the point that
 they have stretched the truth
 > from what
 was even said.

 couldn't agree more with what Sarah has voiced here.
 In fact, as a
 new subscriber to this list I
 must say that the nitpicking I've read
 in this thread is not only excessive, but
 embarrassing.

 It's a
 good thing that I am the co-founder of an NFB chapter,
 because
 at least I understand why so many on
 this list have said that the
 parent herself
 needs to interface with blind people to get direct
 answers.  I get it.  But if I hadn't been
 steeped in Federation
 philosophy--if I were
 not only new to this list but new to the
 organization altogether--I would be so put off
 by some of these
 replies that I probably
 would have taken offense and not had anything
 to do with the Federation in the future.

 Yes, I know we stand for the
 principle that blind people and
 parents/guardians of blind children should work
 together to shape our
 own destiny.  Sighted
 "professionals" shouldn't be our custodians
 and
 shouldn't filter what we know or who
 we become.  But I am not
 convinced the
 original poster was necessarily trying to do that at
 all.

 Would you
 rather have her go just to the AFB or to NAC to ask her
 questions?  Let's think for just a moment
 about unintended
 consequences before hitting
 the Send button, shall we?

 The length of this thread is approaching the
 length of a classic
 Russian novel.  Maybe
 we ought to focus our attention somewhere else
 in a way that would be more useful to
 someone.

 Kind regards,

 Kane Brolin