[blparent] Body Language was RE: Sighted Interference

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Fri Jul 8 05:35:53 UTC 2016

Well, and then there's facial expression.I know many of my expressions are
natural.My daughter says I can get an "evil eye" look that lets her know she
better stop pushing me when enough is enough.  I've asked her to describe
it, and she tells me my eyebrows go up and get close together, and my lips
draw down into a frown, and my eyes sort of flash.  I don't have control of
the eye muscles, but the eyes themselves get this "knock it off" flash for a
second, she says.  She tells me that sometimes I just smile with my mouth,
but when I smile and really mean it, my eyes smile, too.

But then sometimes, my facial expressions aren't right for what is going
on.My daughter says now and then if I'm tired my face will be blank, with no
expression at all, or sometimes the look will be kind of painted on, like
I'm trying really hard to look the way I'm supposed to.  She's pretty
descriptive for an eight-year-old, probably because she's been telling me
about things all of her life.  By her own choice, pretty much.  I've never
insisted on it.  I read to her a lot, as well.  Anyway, inappropriate facial
expressions was one of the reasons my brother, and even my sister, listed
for wanting to take my child away before she was born.  But my daughter's
facial expressions are quite normal.  After all, she's sighted, and she's
been around plenty of sighted people from the get-go.  I'm the only one in
her life who is blind, for the most part.  There have been a few blind
friends, but I'm the only consistent blind one, and it hasn't affected her
facial expressions.

Jo Elizabeth

"The Bright Side of Darkness"
is my award-winning novel,
available in Kindle, audio, and paperback formats at Amazon.com.