[blparent] {Spam?} RE: Favorite toys for toddler

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Sun Jul 17 00:57:03 UTC 2016

My kids loved musical instruments of all kinds. A favorite toy still for my
girls, who are 6 and 4, is a guitar some friends gave us shaped like a dog.
It plays a variety of songs and you can play your own music as well. We had
a couple of other guitars also, a little drum machine, and lots of things to
shake and bang on.
Another favorite, which I am not sure is still sold, is a Fridge DJ by Leap
Frog. It is a little radio which plays different alphabet, counting, and
classic songs. It is magnetic on the back, so sticks to anything metal. This
was a life saver more than once when I was in the kitchen cooking and my
kids were bored. Leap Frog used to have other fridge toys as well.
I would absolutely agree with the play food and kitchen. My girls still both
play with ours, and even my son who is nine will join them in a game of
restaurant or Master Chef Junior once in a while.
All of the Little People sets are also wonderful. My four year old loves
Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood lately, and she got Daniel's trolley for her
birthday. It plays music, moves across the floor, and has a couple of
characters--other characters are sold separately. Daniel is a really cute
show, and you can definitely enjoy the trolley even if you've never seen the
show.
I don't know if you live somewhere with any kind of yard, but all of my kids
love water play. We got our daughter a water table when she was a toddler.
We loved it for days we did not want to pull our wading pool out--the water
table gave her the ability to stand and play in water, float things, splash,
etc., but it was not as much of a production as the wading pool. Of course,
we had a wading pool as well, and we often set both up on our deck for
lovely afternoons of water play.
Mega Blocks, Duplos, and regular wooden building blocks were great as well,
and are still played with. Oh, we also got a wooden table and chairs for our
son when he was about two, and now his sisters still use it. We chose to go
with plain wood. There are great themed tables out there, but we worried
that eventually he would not like the theme, and we knew we wanted other
kids, so thought a plain wooden table and chairs would be a lot more
practical, sturdy, and get the most use. And we were right. It has been
great for sitting and coloring, playing card and board games, and so many
more things. We also got a wagon for our son when he was about a year and a
half, and it has lasted through all three of our kids, and still gets used
occasionally. Practical for walks to the grocery store, the park, or just
around the neighborhood walks. Yet a lot of fun to ride in.
I am sure I am forgetting something, but those are the toys which come to
mind. Oh, anything from Discovery Toys for toddlers is fantastic! My two
favorites are the Giant Peg Board and Measure Up Cups. I used to sell these
amazing toys, but do not anymore. I believe Brandy who is on this list still
sells, and her website is
http://www.playtoachieve.com
At this point, you can really look for toys that your daughter can continue
to play with for a couple of years at least, which is really nice.
Enjoy your toddler! My youngest starts pre-K in the fall, and I do not know
where the time has gone!
Melissa