[blparent] Older Kids and Interaction with the Public

Judy Jones Judy.Jones at icbvi.idaho.gov
Thu Jun 16 19:51:16 UTC 2016

Yes, we had experiences like that.  I just enforced the fact with our girls that they are very much appreciated, and I thanked the well-meaning person.  These people probably would comment on any kids that are contributing posibively toward their neighborhood and people around them.

Also, as life happened, we made sure the girls weren't always in the situation of being helpers.  You want to teach kids kindness and virtues such as helpfulness, and those are best taught when helping other family members or friends, but we made sure to have other ways and means of getting assistance we needed without leaning too heavily on our kids and maintaining our authority as their parents.  It sounds like you are on the right track.

Judy