[blparent] Older Kids and Interaction with the Public

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Thu Jun 16 23:06:18 UTC 2016

This is a tough one.  I think it depends on the kid.  Some kids will get a
distorted sense of what it means to be helpful and others won't.  I got some
of this with my son when he was really little, like in the 3 to 5 year old
range.  I handled it pretty much as you did.  I didn't want to make a giant
deal about it and draw more attention to the situation.  I also wanted him
to learn that the world is full of all kinds of different people and we have
to learn to conduct ourselves appropriate to the situation.  Like you, I
felt I needed to ensure that my kiddo was raised to be responsible and
respectful.  That was my priority, not educating the public on how blind
people can parent.  If some blindness thing happened in public, I would
handle it the best that I could at the moment and then talk to him more in
depth about it later, if I felt we needed to address it more fully.

Honestly, what you are doing sounds extremely similar to how I handled
things.  I think you're doing fine and I think it's entirely normal to think
carefully about how we parent.  I think it's a sign of good parenting when
you think very deliberately about how you want to be as a parent.

Julie