[blparent] Older Kids and Interaction with the Public

Jennifer Bose jen10514 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 04:04:48 UTC 2016

Hi, everyone.

This is a tough one, JoElizabeth. Here's my reading of it: People are well-meaning, and they have all kinds of thoughts about blindness and how vulnerable they would suddenly be if they couldn't see, or if they had any other disability. I understand that better than I used to. I'm glad both individuals asked you before they treated your daughter to something. It's probably an individual thing in this situation. I could be accused of being proud and independent here, but their behavior strikes me as irritating. I don't mind my children talking to strangers when I'm nearby, and I'll go read what StarGazer suggested. Nevertheless, as I see it, we didn't have children in order to depend on them for help. As blunt as that sounds, I actually had a woman remark to me when I was expecting my daughter Abigail: "Oh, that's so sweet. She'll be such a help to you." Ick!! I would just set up a rule that Mom or Dad are the only ones who will buy treats for the kids if we're out, and I would politely communicate that to strangers who want to reward kids for their heroism in dealing with their burdensome blind parents. A little snarky for me, but there you go.

Jen

Sent from my iPhone