[blparent] Stroller Fail!

Jesper Holten jesper.holten at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 11:25:02 UTC 2016

Hello Allison.
I and my wife are both totally blind. What we have been doing for the
last 6-9 months  is to use a combination of a baby jogger city mini GT
which is a 3 wheel stroler with adjustable handlebar. It does swing
abit from side to side but not that much, and it is very easy to get
around with it. it would have been wonderful if the handlebar could
have been reversed, some strollers have that option, but this baby
jogger does not. But it is a very nimble stroller and it can be folded
up so you can actually carry it in one hand. Be aware that it is a
three-wheel stroler though, which some may find unsuitable.
But if we know we will be moving up or down alot or going downtown
with alot of people crowding us, we may use our Beco carrier which is
a soft structured carrier that offers both front back and hip carrying
positions. It can be abit tricky to get the baby into the carrier on
your own, if you carry on the back but it can be done. We started
Carrying Liam on the back when he was around 7 months, and we still do
this now that he is 15 months. He is a light baby only weighing around
21 pounds or so, still he loves to be carried in the beco also for
extended periods of time, and he even falls asleep in it.
We went overseas to Canada (we live in Denmark) in October and had
both the stroler and carrier with us for added flexibility,  and it
worked out very well indeed.
Since we are both blind, we when travelling with the stroler one walks
in front and  has the main job of helping  to clear opsticles and
finding the way, so the other one  pulling the stroler can concentrate
on moving the stroler.
When using the carrier we  often walk side by side, when narrow or
crowded we walk behind each other sandwiching and thus protecting Liam
sitting on the back.
This works very well for us, but other strategies may work better for
you, depending on the area you live in and how adventuous and skilled
you are in O & M.
I hope this can give you some ideas, and feel free to ask more questions.
Best regards, Jesper