[blparent] behavior problems with our 4 year old

Jennifer Bose jen10514 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 26 15:56:00 UTC 2016

Hi, Chris.

Thanks for writing to the list. The behavior issues you describe are
probably faced by many parents, including many blind parents. I'm sure
they're frustrating, and I hear you about wanting the best for your
child and not wanting to resort to discipline methods you don't want
to use.

You mentioned that your child is bright and does well at HeadStart.
That's great. I wonder if you could find out more from her teachers,
or even from her, about where she's doing well. Maybe they have advice
and strategies that you can use at home to help her continue to behave
well and develop well. Another thing to look at is whether some other
factor is causing the behavior. Maybe there's a pattern to it. Maybe
it always happens at night when she's tired. Could she be misbehaving
because she's bored? Instead of putting her in a time-out or in her
room, could you redirect her to do something positive, or just talk to
her and ask why she dumped the food, or hid the phone. Maybe you can
rule out whether she's sad or anxious about something.

Some other thoughts: Besides talking to my family and looking into
community resources, and even consulting with people on this list,
I've learned a lot from the Internet. If you google "playful
parenting" or "positive parenting solutions", you'll come across
resources that can give you lots of other ideas about how to
discipline a child in ways that might work better and teach good
behavior. From all this, I learned not to make a child's room a place
of punishment and not to even use time-outs. One tool I love is Amy
McCready's "when, then" strategy, which I use with my girls. In your
situation with the hidden phone, I might say something like: "When
you've given me back my phone, then I'll give you back some toys."
Then, just try to find something else to do for a few minutes so she
can think this over.

Beyond that, if there are other activities you can do with her in your
community, or other kids she can play with, those are great ways to
teach her to be more socially appropriate and to let her get some of
that fun childish energy out. Of course, there could be some medical
reason why she's not behaving well, but my advice would be to try all
these other ideas first.

All the best to you,
Jen

--
For a clear communication of your message, contact:
Jennifer Bose, voice talent.