[blparent] behavior problems with our 4 year old

Jodie and Kahlan motherconfessor at samobile.net
Wed Mar 30 00:29:49 UTC 2016

Time-outs are usually nothing more than an exercise in frustration for
us, but there are times when it does work. it depends on how defiant
she's feeling at the time. The last time she refused to do a time-out
and kept fighting us, that was when we sent her to her room for an
hour. Our logic was that she could either take the short time-out or
spend a longer time in her room with nothing to do. She's cooperated
with time-outs ever since that hour in her room, so maybe it worked.

We didn't have time-outs either; I just turned forty, so I remember the
days of being stuck in a corner for a long time, or being made to sit
totally still in school when I misbehaved until my hands and feet went
to sleep. One timem at camp someone did something wrong and the
counselors put us all in corners until the guilty person confessed.
After what seemed like hours, the counselor let me out because she said
she knew I didn't do it, which I didn't. The kid who did it finally
confessed and the other kids were not too happy with her.