[blparent] behavior problems with our 4 year old

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Wed Mar 30 03:42:10 UTC 2016

I went to bed without food quite regularly as a kid, and that's one thing I
won't ever put my daughter through, no matter what she does.  Her dad and I
have been in conflict many nights over that one because she's been a picky
eater off and on, and he believes we could have put a stop to that long ago
by sending her to bed hungry a few times.  Maybe we could have, but I
remember what it's like to lie there through the night, miserable and unable
to sleep, and I won't do that to my kid, even if she's imposed it upon
herself.  I don't think sending a child to bed without supper is necessarily
child abuse.  I think some of the things we label as abuse these days
cheapen the word and minimize the actual abuse that people do survive and
rise above.  But I think not meeting a child's basic needs for food,
affection, and consistency sets him up for a lifetime of insecurity that
might not ever be overcome.

Jo Elizabeth

"The Bright Side of Darkness"
is my newly published novel,
available in Kindle, audio, and paperback formats at Amazon.com.