[blparent] language use concern

Judy Jones Judy.Jones at icbvi.idaho.gov
Wed Mar 30 14:43:07 UTC 2016

Yep, you're right.

I remember when our eldest hit grade school and heard the word retarded being used in a negative way to another kid's behavior.

My husband, who was in student disability services at a technical college at the time, explained how destructive that word was, explained that the term now is developmentally delayed, and what that really meant.

Sometime later, when she was annoyed with someone at school, she told us that this person was acting like a developmentally delayed person.  (smiles)

Judy