[blparent] Doing toddlers hair in pigtails

Judy Jones Judy.Jones at icbvi.idaho.gov
Wed May 25 17:04:20 UTC 2016

Hi, Tara,

You can get away with a lot with a 2-year-old.  My daughters' hair was short and fine, and any pigtails would have been sticking up or out.

One thing I used to do is to take the hair from each side and bring it together in the upper back to form a ponytail, albeit a short one.  That keeps hair from hanging in their face when you gather a little from each side.

You can use those tiny cloth bands around the ponytail.  I had a friend who would tie a ribbon bow around her girl's ponytail and secure it with a drop of syrup, believe it or not.  Just enough sticking power to help the bow stay for a while.

When your daughter gets older, her hair will be longer and may be easier to manage.

I would then make pig tails or brades, over each ear, or slightly above and behind.  You do this by parting the hair down the middle back, then gathering the hair over each ear and slightly to the back, if the top of the ear were twelve o-clock position, gather the ear at the one o'clock position.  When done, make sure each pigtail is the same position as the other for symmetry.

Also ask your favorite hair dresser for ideas, and other moms what they do.

Hope this helps.

Judy