[blparent] braille harry potter and the cursed child now finally available

dawn stumpner dawn205120 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 13:52:00 UTC 2016

I had tried everything I could think of to get a copy of the most
recent "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" book, but I kept
striking out.  National Braille Press said they wouldn't have it
this time because they were having trouble getting it for a
reasonable price, etc.  Bookshare couldn't produce it because it
is a play, and they have other rules than regular books.  NLS
didn't know when / if it would be available.  I tried several
other American organizations, but I came up with nothing.  I
talked with the publishers of the book, and they referred me to
some of the organizations that help the blind.  I tried to get
the book directly from the Royal National Institute for the Blind
in the UK, and they were friendly via email, but they don't
accept online orders, so I had to call to make an order, but they
are very under-staffed and I could never reach them even though I
adjusted for the time change and called at various times
throughout their work day.  I contacted a similar organization in
Canada, and they had a recorded version, but they couldn't lend
it to me because I'm not Canadian, and although they would sell
it (for example to a library), it wasn't compatible with what
they would have to run it.  I talked with a local organization
that brailles, records, and buys books to lend out, and they
tried to contact the British organization as well, but they were
running into the same issues I ran into reaching a real person to
place the order.  They were thinking about going through the
process to get permission to braille the book, but now it will be
available through National Braille Press after all.  You can make
orders now, and the book will be ready around Thanksgiving, a few
months later than the print one, but I'm relieved to be done with
my quest.  It's $30 for a four-volume  	book when the previous
ones were about $20 for a
seven- to ten-volume
book, so it's a bit
pricier than the older