[blparent] Need advice on advocacy level

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 14:06:26 UTC 2016

Hina,

While this has come up in several custody cases, it's not a given that your
child will be taken away because of blindness. You can contact the National
Federation of the Blind's lawyers and have a consultation to see where you
can go, possible resources and contacts and what your rights are. You can
also find divorce lawyers in your area. Some may even have experience
dealing with custody cases with disabled parents.

Your husband had no problem having a child with you and letting you care for
your child while married, so it's interesting he would suddenly have a
problem with it if you separated or divorced. Especially if you work, I
would think you have a particularly strong case.

Custody hearings are brutal. I went through it during my sister's custody
hearing, and it was not fun. Even those who split amicably can have hiccups
when it comes to custody. And when one person is already making threats
before anything has happened, it's not a great prospect for settling things
reasonably. So it could be a battle in general, but your blindness is not a
reason to be used against you in a custody agreement.

I would definitely begin researching divorce and custody lawyers where you
live. Find someone you are comfortable with and who believes you capable.
And also contact the NFBs lawyers to see what info they can provide.

Good luck.

Bridgit

Message: 1