[blparent] New member intro

Bridgit Kuenning-Pollpeter bkpollpeter at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 14:37:50 UTC 2016

Josh,

Personally, I plan to keep my children away from video games as long as
possible. Even educational games do not make up for actual in-person
learning that's truly interactive. We recently started allowing our
four-year-old to watch shows on an iPad for a single movie or one or two TV
shows, but it's a reward for doing things, following directions, not
something he can do whenever. I'm aware I'm in the minority when it comes to
games and tablets and show watching, and yes, on the rare occasion we need
him to sit and not be loud or interrupt, we have allowed him to watch more
on the iPad, but it's rare. I try to engage with him more, or encourage
actual imaginative play. My husband was a huge gamer before he lost enough
sight where he just can't do it anymore, but even he agrees he spent too
much time playing video games and watching shows. I grew up in a house where
little TV watching was allowed, and video games were limited. I didn't feel
like I missed out on something because of it. But my point is that in
general, I think it good to avoid these things while they are young because
when they are older, they may have a more balanced concept of entertainment
and activity. It bothers me when my nephew and nieces prefer to sit indoors
and play games on their personal tablets instead of play outside or with all
the toys they have.

I also don't believe young children need expensive toys, be it gaming
systems or something else. That's a lot of money to spend on a child. Maybe
I'm old fashioned, but it doesn't seem like young children need toys and
items that cost hundreds of dollars.

And many of the games are violent, graphic and inappropriate, especially for
young eyes. I know games have ratings these days, but most the "cool" games
are the bad ones. I've spoke with kids who were 8 and 9, playing a game
where they could pick up a prostitute, take her into a car, have the car
rock back-and-forth, simulating things, they the player can beat her up.
Eight and nine, and they were playing this game. Disgusting. Adults
shouldn't even be playing games like this, in my opinion. More and more
games have realistic violence that's graphic. Short of Super Mario Brothers
or athletic games, I can't think of many video games I would feel
comfortable with young children playing.

Teaching your son that he needs to work and save up is a great lesson. Not
an easy one, but a really great idea. I think as parents we often feel
pressure to give our kids everything other kids have. We don't want them to
feel left out or be upset, but in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't
hurt them. And you're instilling valueable life skills that he will benefit
from down the road. Not quite the same, but at a recent birthday party, my
son was told if he didn't eat his lunch, he could not have cake. He refused
to eat lunch, so when cake was served, he missed out. Most people thought we
were being too harsh, but my son frequently doesn't want to finish food. I
don't expect my kids to eat all their food if they don't want too, but if
they don't, no dessert or treats. It's just a rule we stick with all the
time. He won't learn if the rule can be broken periodically.

I'm aware that at some point my children will be exposed to games and shows
and subject matter. I don't and can't control everything. As they grow older
and begin to spend time at friends houses, they may be exposed to things I
don't like or am uncomfortable with. But I can do my best to avoid it at
home, nurture what is important to me from a young age and just hope they
are able to make better choices as they grow older. Nothing is perfect, no
person is perfect. I've already made a lot of mistakes, and hey, we all give
into lazy parenting at times; you have too sometimes, but ultimately, I'm
trying to establish something at home and with my children, and consistency
is the best policy.

So I totally support you in not investing in an expensive gaming system that
you are on the fence about. Your son will be disappointed and likely mad,
but he will get over it. There's a lot of toys I never received, and I was
hurt at the time, but you know what, hasn't affected my life all that much
as it turns out, smile.

Bridgit
Message: 1