[blparent] new member intro

Josh Kennedy joshknnd1982 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 14:47:02 UTC 2016

oh he won't be taking it to school. he will just use it at home and at
my parents house and maybe in the car. also I cannot afford a desktop
and this room really is not set up for one. he is a good kid and listens
well and he had a tablet a few years ago when he was 5 or 6 years old
and was responsible with it. it broke, but it was a cheap kids tablet, a
really cheap kids tablet.

On 9/8/2016 9:42 AM, Judy Jones via BlParent wrote:
> Maybe this is just me, but I would also say no to the portability of the iPad or laptop, even though they would be more convenient to carry back and forth to school.  He will need to do that soon enough in the older grades.  While a desktop computer may be more inconvenient, it stays put in the vicinity where the parent chooses to set it up, and easier to monitor activity that way.
>
> Another example of inconvenience.  I would not let our girls have calculators until they learned their math skills, or the teacher required one in the classroom, but that did not happen until they were in middle school.  Like not letting a blind child have talking books until the braille skills/literacy is well developed for their age.  The speech and verbal is too available to all today.  Just some thoughts.
>
> Judy

mozilla thunderbird email client