[blparent] Children's artwork

Judy Jones sonshines59 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 15:43:21 UTC 2017

This is such a great question, because we had the same issues with two
daughters.

We treated our fridge like the office bulletin board.  The latest went up on
the fridge.  They never seemed to object when I took down an older piece of
artwork.  And you're right it all ended up in a storage box because "Mom"
couldn't bear to throw it away, at least until we moved and the girls were
then out of the house.

Not artwork, but I did start a baby box for each daughter with little baby
trinkets they had and used, maybe a favorite pair of baby shoes, a rattle
with teeth marks, a favorite baby or toddler memento from baby and toddler
stages.  Each box is the plastic sweater storage box, a little larger than a
shoe box.

When our eldest married, I turned over her box to her.  Inside hers were the
childhood souvenirs, plus some cassettes I had recorded back then of our
interactions and her baby voice that changed over those few years, an early
cry, her first laugh, snapshots, etc.

When Sadie, our younger daughter either requests her box or marries, I will
pass her box to her.

Judy