[blparent] (no subject)

Alomi Parikh alomiparikh24 at gmail.com
Mon May 15 13:56:26 UTC 2017

Hello

Respected Sir/Madam,

I am Alomi Parikh, a 19-year old Design Student from MIT University in
Pune, India.

I have chosen to work with Parenting without SIght for a college project.

While I strongly believe that Blind Parents are completely and wholly
capable of raising their own children, society may think otherwise.
However, I have researched and observed that while they are fully capable,
they do rely on their sighted friends or family for certain reasons which
curbs their independence slightly. I have also come to realise that raising
an infant is the most difficult part and there are multiple safety hazards.

After extensive research, I have narrowed down the topic I want to work
with as the following:

Choking hazards are one of the most common safety hazards to infants (0-12
months). The symptoms of suffocation and choking are mainly visual
symptoms. A totally blind parent, left alone with their child may find it
difficult to diagnose this problem or may require the help of sighted
friends and family. I want to work towards making them feel independent
enough to realize what is wrong with their child and be able to take the
necessary actions, by themselves or just like any other sighted parent.

I would like to ask you a couple of questions regarding this and sincerely
hope you can help and guide me through this.

1. Do you think this is a genuine problem? Is there anything you would like
to add about this topic?

2. How would you tackle a situation where your infant is choking or
suffocating but you cannot see the symptoms?

3. Would you like to be completely independent in taking care of such a
situation? If you already are, I would love to know what kind of solutions
or tactics you use.

3. What are some of the other problems regarding safety that you faced
while raising your infant?

4. What are some unconventional methods you use to keep your infant safe?

5. What is/was the most worrisome part of raising an infant?

6. What are some solutions you would suggest?

7. Would you like to say anything apart from the questions?

I am looking forward to a constructive and positive interaction.

Thank you for your valuable time and help.

Alomi Parikh