[blParent] Wouldn't be great if car-seats were built into cars?

Anna Letitia Zivarts annaz at rootedinrights.org
Mon Oct 19 18:12:08 UTC 2020

Hello fellow parents! I'm a low-vision mom and also the director of the
Disability Mobility Project at Disability Rights Washington. I'm putting
together a proposal as part of the FTA Inclusive Design Challenge for
autonomous vehicles about the importance of having built-in car seats
included in future car designs, especially as it's anticipated autonomous
vehicles will likely be part of shared fleets, like Uber or Lyft.

Personally, since I've become a parent, I pretty much only use the bus
because I can't imagine lugging a car seat around with me and my toddler
all day in between trips.

If you have a story you'd be willing to share with me about why having car
seats included in ride hailing vehicles, and in future shared autonomous
vehicles - let me know! You can email me at annaz at dr-wa.org. Deadline is
September 28.

Here's more background on the FTA Inclusive Design Challenge:
https://www.transportation.gov/accessibility/inclusivedesign

Thanks!
Anna

Anna Zivarts
She/her
Director, Disability Mobility Initiative <
https://www.disabilityrightswa.org/programs/disabilitymobility/>
Disability Rights Washington
315 5th Ave S, Ste 850
Seattle, WA 98104