[blParent] Using cane / dog with stroller

Jo Elizabeth Pinto jopinto at msn.com
Mon Oct 25 17:56:39 UTC 2021

Here's a document I got from Guide Dogs for the Blind when I asked about strollers. It's quite old, since my kid is thirteen now, but it still has some good tips in it.

WORKING A GUIDE DOG WHILE PULLING A BABY STROLLER

Summaries
Project Goal: To research and develop a technique which enables a guide dog user to safely and effectively use a baby stroller while working a guide dog.

Project Results: No fully safe method was identified.  Although workable techniques were recognized, even the safest use has an element of risk for the stroller to leave the sidewalk or tip on uneven surfaces.  Reasonable technique and equipment was identified for a physically capable guide dog user to utilize at their own risk.

Methods
Considerations: While it is generally safer to carry an infant in a Snugli or backpack when working a guide dog, there will be situations where it’s necessary to use a stroller. Example: Guide dog user has back or shoulder problems, which prohibit him/her from carrying a child. Or, the weight of the infant exceeds the limits of the backpack/Snugli according to manufacturer specifications. Pushing the stroller is not an option for a visually impaired traveler, the individual should pull the baby behind the team.
**NOTE: The infant should (at least) be big enough to have developed head-control before being pulled in a stroller. That way, if there is any tipping, the risk of injury is reduced.

Mechanics of pulling a stroller: Depending on the style of stroller, it may be preferable to attach the stroller to the handler’s waist. (For our purposes on campus, we have a leather harness that connects the stroller to the handler.  This harness was custom-made and is not readily available.)

For strollers with a solid bar handle, a belt can be used (a wide, “weightlifting” belt is more comfortable than a standard belt). However, it is possible to simply hold onto the bar handle with the right hand without attaching the stroller to the handler’s body.

For strollers with separate “hook” handles, a support cane can be attached to one side to extend the handle. This allows handler to hold onto stroller and maintain a more natural arm position.

Customized Training Dogs:
            Prerequisite – GW basics must be well established before introducing baby stroller work. Ideally, the dog will respond reliably to verbal commands only. Hand gestures will not be possible as both hands are occupied.

       Custom Training
At down and up curbs, give the “forward” command, immediately followed by the “halt” command. This will allow the handler to enter/exit the street, then stop so that the stroller may be lowered/lifted safely. The dog must be easily handled with only the harness hand for these “curb halts” before progressing to a toleration of the stroller.

            Stroller Introduction  - Training dogs should be allowed to sniff and socialize with the stroller before GW is attempted.
Heel the dog in several environments while pushing the stroller ahead, allowing the dog to see it move and make all it’s noises.
Once the dog has been socialized to the stroller, harness up and pull the stroller behind while heeling the dog for a block or two. This allows the dog to get used to the stroller noise behind them.

Guidework Introduction  - Once the dog is fully comfortable heeling with the stroller in-tow, it is safe to begin guidework. Begin with a long, straight walk.  It is necessary to hold onto the stroller handle with the right hand in order to stabilize it. Otherwise, it may tip over or “fish tail.”
                        Street Crossings: At the downcurb, the “forward” command is immediately followed by the “halt” command. This allows the handler to enter the street, then stop so that the stroller may be lowered safely to street level. Once this is accomplished, the command “forward,” or “hopp-up” are given to finish the crossing. At the upcurb, the above (“forward, halt”) is repeated to lift the stroller to sidewalk level.  (NOTE: Regular curbs and ramped curbs pose the greatest risk of the stroller tipping over. Caution is advised.)
       Turns:  Mechanics depend on the type of stroller, however, it is usually necessary to hold onto the stroller with the right hand.  No hand gestures are possible, only clear body facing to help communicate to the dog. Turns will be slower and more awkward due to the logistics of maneuvering the stroller. In some cases, it is preferable to tip the stroller onto two wheels (usually the rear, stationary ones).
Full About Turns (180 degree turns) are very difficult to perform with the stroller.  The handler must heel the dog holding only the leash while also stabilizing the stroller with both hands.
Distractions:  Handling distractions while pulling a stroller can be challenging. For this situation, it is easiest when the stroller is attached in some manner to the handler so that his/her hands are free to regain control of the dog.

Student instruction:
First and foremost, any student must be advised of the potential risks (to the child) when working a guide while pulling a stroller. Even with the most capable traveler, there is risk involved.

Review above technique with student and have him/her practice working a dog with the stroller in tow. It is imperative to have the approximate weight in the stroller to demonstrate how the stroller will move with the child in it. (Obviously, the dog should have been exposed and trained to this experience prior to class.)
It is important that the student understand that the dog is NOT responsible for clearance errors involving the stroller. The dog’s job continues to be safely guiding the student/graduate ONLY.

Stroller styles: There are many styles of strollers. Most can be modified to accommodate work with a guide. Here are some comments from GDB graduates currently pulling strollers with their guides.
·           Strollers with reversible handle allows baby to face forward and makes steering easier, according to one grad. She likes the bigger strollers with the storage underneath for diaper bags, etc. She works her dog on wide sidewalks with the stroller slightly offset to the right. She does not attach the stroller to herself, just holds onto it. She has had no problems with tipping. Recommends that users purchase a “five-point” harness that can be placed in stroller to secure baby, if it does not already have one.
·           Another graduate’s opinion is that the baby and stroller must face backwards. She recommends all-terrain type strollers with single-hand steering ability.
Note: When we were “test-driving” a three-wheeled, all terrain jogging stroller, we found it to be the most uncomfortable, unstable and unsafe type of stroller. It tipped over easily, was virtually impossible to steer and the wheels bumped into the dog’s hind legs at stopping points. Therefore, we do NOT recommend jogging strollers in conjunction with guidework.

Recommended Safety Considerations and Equipment:
·           Five-point infant harness, if stroller does not have one.
·           Solid knowledge of the routes surfaces.
·           Travel surfaces wide enough to easily negotiate the stroller.
·           Bicycle flag attached to back of stroller to alert
motorists.
·           Red flashing bicycle light or reflectors.

Jo Elizabeth Pinto

Check out my author Web site at
http://www.brightsideauthor.com.