[blParent] Toilet training

Keith Rempel keith.rempel at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 18:36:57 UTC 2022

Hi,

I have a 5 year old girl and a recently potty trained 3-year-old boy.

Prior to training my first I was anxious about how it would go, and how
I would handle poop messes that weren't contained on the change table.
As it turns out, it is way easier to wipe a bum when the poop hasn't
been mashed around in a diaper for a few minutes!

My daughter trained really easily. I think maybe only 1 or 2 poop minor
poop accidents.

With my son, I think we maybe started him before he was ready. It is
pretty tough to deal with poop-filled underwear, whether you can see or
not. We backed off with him, and in a few months a switch went off and
he trained himself.

A helpful suggestion my mom made was to have my kids bend over the tub
while I wipe them after a poop. It's nice to keep them standing still,
bent over, and not touching the toilet.

I'd also recommend waiting until you are sure your child is ready. Be
excited, be very excited. I am a very happy father, do be done with diapers.

Oh, one more thing. I keep some baby wipes on top of my toilet for the
messier poops.

Good luck.

Keith