[blParent] Toilet training

sonshines59 sonshines59 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 19:48:13 UTC 2022

Hi, Nadine,

I'm a grandma now, but we were very relaxed about potty training with both daughters, and they managed it in di"erent ways at different ages. We to ook our cues from them.

Some parents try to put kids on a potty schedule which works when they are truly ready, but sometimes, if the kids aren't ready, the parents have actually unknowingly scheduled themselves, and not the kids, into putting their kid on the toilet when they aren't really ready yet. They try to get kids trained before their systems are mature enough.

I had a niece who didn't "get it" until she was three. Our youngest daughter started "practicing" several months before she was consistently able to use the toilet, about the middle of her second year. A lot of this you play by ear with your kids. Watch for when they show an interest in the toilet. Get them one of their own they can sit on. Praise them for having a toilet just like mom and dad. It starts out being something they imitate and do just for fun, not knowing what it's really for, but they catch on when they're encouraged.

Our younger daughter wanted so badly to go to school like big sissy. She had her own little potty seat, and was wearing pull-ups to get the hang of how it is to wear underpants. I took advantage of her desire and told her that the school wouldn't allow her to go until she could potty all by herself. This was three months before her third birthday, and she was super-motivated, and was rady for preschool by her third birthday. The whole process is a series of steps forward and backward then forward. Reward the positive steps, and don't sweat the misses. It can be a slow process, and all depends on each kid.

Also look for some potty training tips online.

judy
"Embrace each day with His mercies and blessings."
Sent From The HIMS U2 Mini