[blParent] How to get more support

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissaariccobono at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 17:58:47 UTC 2023

Oh yes, raising kids, particularly in the first few years, can be utterly
exhausting! Are there any colleges in your town? When my oldest was young,
my husband and I put an ad on a college jobs website and interviewed
students who wanted part time work. We found a couple of very nice young
women that way, who took great care of our kiddo. Unfortunately, they were
looking for more steady work, and at the time we only needed them
occasionally, and the schedule of when we needed them often changed
depending on what I, as the stay at home parent, was doing. But you might
have more luck, especially if you are thinking of specific times and days
you'd like help. You'd have to work around class schedules, but often that
is fairly easy to do.
Another option might be churches in your town, whether or not you belong to
them. Asking if you can put an ad in a bulletin or newsletter might work.
You may be able to find retired people who want some part time work and
would enjoy being around a child. Or maybe high school students in need of
service hours, or even younger teens who want to build child care
experience. This could work out well especially if you are home in case of
any trouble, but the teen could be playing with your son in another room so
you can get things done. Come to think of it, you could even reach out to
local high schools; often they have child care programs and may be able to
send students your way. Community colleges could be another place to look,
particularly if they have a child care or education type program.
I also echo what has been said about daycares. Our oldest went to one in
home daycare that was horrible, and a second which was absolutely wonderful!
It was run by two women who were teachers, but who wanted to stay home with
their own kids, so they started the daycare. There was tons of time for
imagination and playing, but they also did academics; our oldest actually
learned to read there, and was reading at probably a second grade level by
the time she entered kindergarten. They also put on plays, went on field
trips, and so much more! I know good child care can be hard to find, but it
absolutely is out there. It can have disadvantages, but also advantages. Our
kids were in day care part time until they were four. At that point we sent
our oldest four days a week, and our younger two started pre-K at four.

I hope some of these things are helpful! It's all about finding what works
best for you and your son!
Melissa