[blParent] NFB of PA September 2023 Monthly Digest

Stacie Leap stacie.leap at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 02:48:02 UTC 2023

Hello everybody!

Welcome to our September 2023 monthly Digest: a monthly newsletter of the
National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania!

The events and information listed below will be within the National
Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania as well as any pertinent
information from the National Federation of the Blind and the Pennsylvania
blind community.

If you or anyone you know have any upcoming events or information that can
pertain to the blind community in Pennsylvania, please send them to Stacie
Leap at nfb.stacie at gmail.com  by the 27th of the month so it can be added
to our calendar for the following month.

For those using screen readers, you can use your heading navigations to
skip around the email.

A Message from our State Affiliate President

Happy September Federation Family!

It is hard to believe that State Convention is 2 months away.  Our National
Representative this year is Pam Allen, 1st Vice President of the NFB.
There is only a short time to register for the Convention at the Early Bird
price.  On September 15, the registration increases to $25.  Register early
and save!

Looking forward to speaking with you on Coffee with The President on
Wednesday, September 6 at 7:30PM!

- Lynn Heitz

President, National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania

president at NFBOfPA.org

*Google Calendar Links*

The National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania also has a Google
Calendar that can be viewed either through the web or subscribed to your
calendar apps.

You can view the calendar without subscribing to it and view it on your web
browser by clicking: View our Google Calendar
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=7jgal0nrodbmg61a8aar0o3i2g%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America%2FNew_York>

However, if you wish to subscribe to the calendar and get the events on
your calendar apps, please click Subscribe
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/7jgal0nrodbmg61a8aar0o3i2g%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics>
and go through the steps to subscribe:

*Member Spotlight: Angelina Angelcyk *

Each month, we will highlight someone within our affiliate. The goal is to
allow other members to learn about other members within the affiliate. We
hope you enjoy this little spotlight!

Angelina Angelcyk serves as one of our board members for the National
Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania. Serving as the youngest board
member, she is the student representative. Angelina is a senior of her high
school in the Greater Pittsburgh area. You might recognize her name and
voice at many NFB events, both nationally and locally. She showcases her
piano skills and singing ability at the annual Piano Bar that is hosted by
the student division. She is a part of a band, Spectrum, and recently
performed alongside Pittsburgh musician Norman Mardini. A woman of many
talents, she performed as Rafiki from the Lion King at the Geyer Performing
Arts Center in July 2023. She also sings at many events and sells Sachets
during our state convention. If you ever get a chance to meet Angelina, do
not forget to say, “Hello!”

*Calendar of Events*

The following events are also on our Google calendar with the Zoom
information or meeting location. If anyone within a chapter, division, or
group see any errors or misinformation, please contact Stacie Leap at
nfb.stacie at gmail.com

The below information is correct as of the first week of the month. The
information is most up-to-date on the Google Calendar so please check back
periodically to ensure the right information.

*Jigsaw Chapter monthly Meeting*

a monthly meeting for those who do not have a local chapter in their
geographical area. This is our at-large chapter Meetings This meeting is
typically held on the 1st Saturday of the month.

Saturday, September 2, 2023 at 10 AM ET

Coffee with the State President and Board

This monthly discussion meeting brings everybody together to get to know
the state affiliate board members and the happenings within the state’s
divisions, chapters, and advocacy efforts. This meeting is typically held
the 1st Wednesday of the month.

Wednesday, September 6, 2023 at 7:30PM ET.

*Greater Berks Chapter Monthly Meeting*

A monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Berks County of
Pennsylvania This meeting is typically held on the 2nd Friday of the month.

Friday, September 8, 2023 at 10 AM ET

*Greater Lehigh Valley Chapter Monthly Meeting*

A monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Lehigh Valley region of
Pennsylvania.  This includes Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton, and the
surrounding areas. This meeting is typically held on the 2nd Saturday of
the month.

Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 10 AM ET.

*Keystone Chapter Monthly Meeting*

a monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Philadelphia area. This
is one of two local chapters in the Greater Philadelphia area. The other
chapter is the Greater Philadelphia Chapter. This meeting is typically held
on the 2nd Saturday of the month.

Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 10:15AM ET

*Happy Valley Chapter Monthly Meeting *

A monthly meeting for those who live in or surrounding State College,
Pennsylvania.  This meeting is typically held on the 2nd Saturday of the
month.

Saturday, September 9, 2023 at 1PM ET

Board of Directors Quarterly Meeting

This meeting is the quarterly meeting for the board of directors. Only
those in the board can make motions and vote but all are invited to be a
part of the meeting.

Sunday, September 10, 2023 at 7:30PM ET

*Deaf Blind Division Monthly Meeting*

a monthly meeting for those who consider themselves to be Deaf Blind and
their supporters. This meeting is typically held on the 2nd Monday of the
month.

Monday, September 11, 2023 at 6PM ET

*Pennsylvania Association of Blind Merchants (PABM) Monthly Meeting*

a monthly meeting for those who are or wish to be involved with the
Business Enterprise Program, entrepreneurship, and their supporters. This
meeting is typically held on the 2nd Wednesday of the month.

Wednesday, September 13, 2023 at 6PM ET

*Capital Area Chapter Monthly Meeting*

a monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Harrisburg area. This
meeting is typically held on the 3rd Saturday of the month.

Saturday, September 16, 2023 at 10 AM ET

*Erie County Chapter Monthly Meeting*

a monthly meeting for those who live in Erie County Pennsylvania. This
meeting is typically held on the 3rd Saturday of the month.

Saturday, September 16, 2023 at 2PM ET

*Blind Parents Group Monthly Meeting*

a monthly meeting for blind parents, grandparents, and their supporters
This meeting is typically held on the 3rd Saturday of the month.

Saturday, September 16, 2023 at 7PM ET

*Pennsylvania Organization of Parents of Blind Children (PAOPBC) Monthly
Meeting*

a monthly meeting for parents of blind children and their supporters This
meeting is typically held on the 3rd Tuesday of the month.

Tuesday, September 19, 2023 at 1 PM ET

*Pittsburgh Chapter Monthly Meeting*

A monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Pittsburgh area. This
meeting is typically held on the 3rd Wednesday of the month.

Wednesday, September 20, 2023 at 6PM ET

*Greater Philadelphia Chapter Monthly Meeting*

a monthly meeting for those who live in the Greater Philadelphia area. This
is one of two local chapters in the Greater Philadelphia area.  The other
chapter is the Keystone Chapter. This meeting is typically held on the 4th
Saturday of the month.

Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 10 AM ET

*Brandywine Valley Chapter Monthly Meeting*

a monthly meeting for those who live in the Brandywine Valley area of PA.
This meeting is typically held on the 4th Saturday of the month.

Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 10 AM ET

*Pennsylvania Association of Guide Dog Users (PAGDU) Monthly Meeting*

a monthly meeting for those who have or are considering getting a guide dog
as well as their supporters. This meeting is typically held on the 4th
Saturday of the month.

Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 4pm ET

*Pennsylvania Association of Blind Students (PABS) Monthly Meeting*

a monthly meeting for blind students of all ages and their supporters. This
meeting is typically held on the 4th Monday of the month.

Monday, September 25, 2023 at 7PM ET

*Blind Seniors Group Monthly Meeting*

a monthly meeting for those who are seniors or almost seniors as well as
their supporters. This meeting is typically held on the 4th Wednesday of
the month.

Wednesday, September 27, 2023 at 7:30PM ET

*White Canes Connect Podcast*

Did you know that the National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania has
a podcast? It is hosted by members David Goldstein and Lisa Bryant as well
as some guest hosts. It features interviews with our PA members as well as
interviews and resources for the blind community. The monthly digest is
also on the podcast for those who wish to hear a human’s voice instead of a
screen reader. You can listen to it wherever you listen to podcasts.

Listen on  Apple Podcasts
<https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/white-canes-connect/id1592248709>,
Spotify <https://open.spotify.com/show/1YDQSJqpoteGb1UMPwRSuI>, Amazon Music
<https://www.amazon.com/White-Canes-Connect/dp/B08K5B6683/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=white+canes+connect&qid=1636149501&qsid=139-0343126-3565115&s=audible&sr=1-1&sres=B08K5B6683,B07P88N4RS,B008U2QT28,B00MFS7BT8&srpt=WALKING_STICK>
, IHeartRadio
<https://www.iheart.com/podcast/263-white-canes-connect-89603482/>,
and on Twitter
@PABlindPodcast <https://www.twitter.com/pablindpodcast>. Contact White
Canes Connect at whitecanesconnect at gmail.com if you have any show ideas or
wish to be on the podcast.

*State Convention 2023 *

Our State Convention is coming up soon! Mark your calendar! Clear your
agendas! We will be convening from November 9 to 12, 2023 at the Crowne
Plaza Hotel in Harrisburg, PA!

Please see the links below to register for the convention as well to
reserve your hotel rooms! Room rates are $99 a night. We will have a Senior
Possibilities Fair, Technology Seminars, Talent Showcase/Live Auction,
special interest groups and division meetings and so much more! We hope to
hang out with you at the convention!

Attendee Registration for State Convention:

https://nfbofpa.org/2023-state-convention-registration/

Info on making hotel reservations at the Crowne Plaza Harrisburg:

https://nfbofpa.org/reservations-for-crowne-plaza-hotel/

Senior Possibilities Fair 2023

We will also have a senior possibilities fair on the morning of Thursday,
November 9, 2023. There is a separate registration form for this event and
can be found at the following link:
https://nfbofpa.org/senior-possibilities-fair/

Talent Showcase

For those who will be attending the convention in-person, we are looking
for performers of all talents to showcase them at the talent show which
will take place on the evening of Friday, November 10, 2023. If you are
interested in performing, please contact Stacie Leap at
Stacie.leap at gmail.com

*Shout-Outs and Announcements!**Birthday Wishes*

The National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania would like to wish all
those who were born in August a very happy birthday!

*Rest in Peace Eric Coleman!*

Tom Anderson served as the Chair of the Blind Christians Group after it was
changed from the Communities of Faith division. This email was from Dan
Burke:

"Dear friends and Federation family -

Julie and I are heart-broken to tell you that Tom Anderson, the

beloved first-Braille teacher at CCB and one of the two staff members

who opened the doors of the Colorado Center for the Blind in 1988 with

Diane McGeorge, died Tuesday afternoon. Tom had been in the hospital

for about two weeks in Kansas where he and his wife, Linda returned

after tom’s retirement from CCB in 2015. He passed quietly from this

life with his dear Linda holding one of his hands and his twin sister

Toni holding the other.

Tom had cancer nearly 20 years ago, but was cancer free until about

two years ago. He entered treatments and finished them early this

year. He and Linda came to the national convention in Houston, and it

was wonderful for all of us to see him. He was so obviously excited to

be back at the convention again. But he became ill after they returned

home and eventually was hospitalized.

Tom was a man of faith and a minister, having his own small church in

Littleton for a number of years. He was also a staunch, life-long

Federationist, holding many offices  at the chapter, state and

national levels, including the Denver Chapter President, the NFB of

Kansas state board, and the long-time President of the NFB in

Communities of Faith.

Tom was such a good man, a dedicated and patient teacher of Braille to

hundreds of blind students over the 27 years he taught at the Center,

if also exacting and sometimes stern. He embraced his nickname, “Dr.

Dots,” loved to page students late for his class with, “Henrietta, the

dots await your fingers,” and had one of the most endearing and

genuine laughs ever heard in the halls of CCB. No one had a laugh like

Tom’s, and he laughed often and easily.

Julie spoke with Linda this afternoon. At this time, there is no

public memorial scheduled. Please send Linda and the family your

prayers and positive thoughts.

Rest in peace, dear, kind and loving friend and teacher to so many.”

*Fundraisers**Blind Parents Group T-Shirts Fundraiser*

The t-shirts come in either black with white letterings or white with black
letterings. Both shirts say “I Support #BlindParents” with the NFB of PA
Logo and “Blind Parents Group” at the bottom. Funds raised will start a
scholarship fund to assist blind or visually impaired parents and their
family through financial life hardships. To purchase a t-shirt, please
contact Stacie Leap at nfb.stacie at gmail.com

Dancing in the Dark

The Greater Lehigh Valley Chapter will be hosting their annual Dancing in
the Dark event on Friday October 13, 2023.

On Friday October 13th we Joyously invite you to enjoy a night of fun and
enlightenment to celebrate National Meet the Blind Month and White Cane Day.

This is a semi-formal evening of dinner, music and dancing.

Cocktails begin @ 6 PM ET

.  Tickets are $75 and the deadline to purchase ticket is September 15,
2023.

This event will be held at: Blue Grillhouse

. (4431 Easton Avenue. Bethlehem, PA 18020)

There are four menu selections:

1. Flounder stuffed with jumbo crab in lemon cream sauce

2. Chicken breast marsala

3. Slow roasted prime rib of beef - traditional or horseradish crusted

4. Roasted Zucchini with Quinoa

Contact the Event Chair Jemmie Jones for more info and to purchase tickets:
908-391-8375

*Believe You Can! Talent Show *

SAVE THE DATE: The Keystone Chapter will be having their annual talent show
fundraiser on Saturday, October 14, 2023 at 7pm ET. If you wish to be a
performer, please complete the Google Form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1vOdMMLZZ1GBz__5zN3sCD8AU4ziERVxMyEeEvRphN_A/edit

For more information, please visit their website: believeYouCan.live or
contact David Goldstein at david at icantcu.com If you wish to be a performer
or have any questions, please contact BelieveYouCanShow at gmail.vcom

*Other External Events*

These events are not hosted or sponsored by the NFB or the NFB of PA.
However, we think these might be good resources for those living in
Pennsylvania. If you have any events that you wish to be in our monthly
digest, please email Stacie Leap at nfb.stacie at gmail.com

*Liberty Resources’ Blind/Low Vision Support Group*

Our members Karen Rose and Simone Cooper partner up with Liberty Resources
to hold a weekly virtual support group at Liberty Resources. The aim is to
share resources and provide support to those experiencing blindness or low
vision. Meetings are weekly on Tuesdays from 1pm to 2pm ET via Zoom. You do
not need to live in Philadelphia to attend these meetings, this is open to
all in Pennsylvania! For more information or to sign-up, please email
Latoya Maddox at LatoyaMaddox at libertyresources.org

Purple Path Awareness Walk

Purple Path is an awareness walk about domestic violence. It will be a day
filled with testimonials, live entertainment, raffles, food,
resources/information tables and much more! The event will be on October 7,
2023 from 12PM to 4PM at 800 Macdade Blvd.Collingdale, PA 19023. More
information including volunteering, sponsorships, and registering can be
found on their website: www.purplehouseporjectpa.org

*Women Healed For a Purpose 2023 Conference!*

Our member Lyvette Byrd is hosting her 2nd Annual Women Healed For a
Purpose Conference under her business, For the Byrds Consulting, LLC. The
mission of the conference is to equip and restore the community through a
faith-based initiative that we hope will strengthen women holistically;
mind, body, and spirit.

We are women Living Interdependently in support of Family, Friends, and our
Fellow neighbors to Educate and Empower our community. The event will be on
Saturday, October 28, 2023.  There will be guest speakers, and live
entertainment. There will be an in-person option as well as a Zoom option.
For more information including vending opportunities, volunteering, or to
register, please visit the For The Byrds Consulting website
<http://www.forthebyrdsconsulting.org/>.

*NFB Pledge*

I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National Federation
of the Blind; to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind;
to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.

*NFB Message*

between blind people and our dreams.

Many thanks to everybody for all they do within the Federation!

Thanks!

the National Federation of the Blind of Pennsylvania team

www.nfbofpa.org