[blParent] PBSKids accessible game beta testing opportunity

Noble, Stephen steve.noble at louisville.edu
Fri Sep 15 01:09:47 UTC 2023

I am working with Bridge Multimedia to evaluate the accessibility of an online educational game being developed for PBS Kids. We are beta testing a new game sometime later in the month of September 2023 and are reaching out to parents who would be willing to have their child participate in this testing. Please share this with parents…(I have also included a PDF attachment, assuming the listserv lets it through).

The game is based on the popular PBS series Cyberchase, which delivers positive messages about math by teaching concepts in a fun way that kids can understand. For background information on the series, see https://www.pbs.org/parents/shows/cyberchase/about.

You can also read more about this game development project, and the games we have developed so far at https://www.pbs.org/parents/thrive/supporting-your-child-with-disabilities-with-digital-learning-games.

We are now working on a brand-new game and are interested in learning from your child how the game needs to be further developed to meet their accessibility needs. Your child is invited to participate in a remote session that will involve playing an early version of an online accessible educational game, Quiet Please, which is in its final stage of development. We are especially interested in including children with disabilities in these studies. These games include accessibility scaffolding such as audio description and captions that can be turned on or off as needed for your child.

If you interested in having your child participate, please complete the Consent Form at this link: https://forms.gle/EDabMfRafcooxKdK9

If your child is selected to be part of the testing, you will be sent a link to the game that will be used during the testing. An evaluator will complete the testing with your child using a video conference platform such as Zoom, Skype, or FaceTime. You or another adult will need to be present with your child during testing to facilitate the game play. After playing the game, your child will be asked questions about the game. Recommendations and suggestions from all participants will be compiled and used to improve the accessibility of the game.

Parents whose children participate in testing the game will be given a $15 Amazon gift card for your child. Remote test sessions take between 30 and 60 minutes. Strict confidentiality of all notes will be maintained, and no identifying information will be shared.  Participation in the accessible game development evaluation is voluntary and your child may choose to withdraw at any time.

Please feel free to contact the study director, Dr. Wendy Sapp at wsapp at bridgemultimedia.com<mailto:wsapp at bridgemultimedia.com> or 706-218-2090 or email me at steve.noble at louisville.edu<mailto:steve.noble at louisville.edu> with any additional questions.

--Steve Noble
steve.noble at louisville.edu
502-969-3088