[blParent] The Tempest: A Surround Sound Odyssey

dandrews920 at comcast.net dandrews920 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 6 23:27:38 UTC 2024

From: Joseph Discher <joedischer at gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, March 6, 2024 2:33 PM
To: dandrews920 at comcast.net
Cc: patnaude.sarah at aidb.org
Subject: Referred by Sarah Patnaude, Human Services Division, NFB

Dear Mr. Andrews,

Yesterday I had the pleasure of speaking with the wonderful Sarah Patnaude in the Human Services Division about a project that would provide an immersive and exciting experience for the blind and visually impaired. She referred me to you in hopes that this work could be shared with as many as possible in the greater blind and visually impaired community. Info and a sample of the work provided below.

A little background:

During the pandemic, my producing partner and I formed a non-profit company called Knock at the Gate. We wanted to create, provide entertainment for audiences, and opportunities for actors at that crucial time when theatres had closed. Rather than present theatre over Zoom, we decided to embrace an audio-only approach; not a podcast, audiobook or radio play, but a fully immersive theatrical audio experience that makes the listener feel like they are at the center of the action. Knock at the Gate has been featured on Good Day New York, NPR, and in American Theatre Magazine, Playbill Online and Broadway World.

My producing partner and co-founder, Sean Hudock and I are passionate about accessibility, and the blind and visually impaired are at the top of the list; Our productions are very impactful and perfect for those the NFB serves.

Information below on Knock at the Gate's current project, and a sample of our work. I am hoping you will share this with the greater community of the blind and visually impaired and give them the opportunity to partake in this audio adventure

The Tempest: A Surround Sound Odyssey

An immersive 3D audio adaptation of Shakespeare's final masterpiece.

Streaming now through March 16

Running time: 99 minutes

Ticket price: $9.99

Synopsis: Prospero the usurped Duke of Milan is marooned on an enchanted island. After honing his skills as a sorcerer, he creates a storm to shipwreck his betrayers on the island as they pass by. He uses his magic to exact his revenge until he learns the greater power of forgiveness.

https://www.knockatthegate.com for more info and to reserve a virtual seat!

Sample: The first scene was featured in Playbill online, here <https://playbill.com/article/get-a-1st-listen-to-knock-at-the-gates-audio-version-of-the-tempest> .

*Use headphone for full effect*

Designed for the dark and a pair of headphones this can be listened to in the comfort of your own home or anywhere with an internet connection. This magical adaptation for audio features a three-dimensional soundscape that makes the listener feel like they are at the center of the action.

Listeners from 25 states and 15 different countries are loving every part of it, from the visceral soundscape that surrounds the listener and sweeps them away, to the  stellar cast of actors from stage, screen and film, to a clear and easy-to-understand story.

Thank you for your time! If you would like to speak further my number is below.

Sincerely,

Joe Discher he/him

Artistic Director

Knock at the Gate